Roast Beef (for sandwiches)

MrPhilGrillTX

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
EX6 (+ a kettle from 2003)
I'm trying to make roast beef for my kids to have in their sandwiches. Buying the raw stuff seems to be about half the price and I have fun cooking. But, it comes out tough. The three variables I can think of are grill temp, meat temp, thickness of the slices and the cut of meat. (no wait that's four)

My latest one I cooked to 130 with the grill around 225. I'm slicing by hand, and the slices are not terribly thin or regular. It was a choice eye of round, IIRC.

Any suggestions?

Eye of round is my least favorite roast cut. If you want to try a different cut, look for a Spoon Roast (Top Sirloin Roast).

If I cook eye of round in the oven, I use this method of two temperature cooking. Perhaps try that on the SmokeFire?
  1. Remove roast from the refrigerator and allow it to rest on the counter for 45 minutes to take the chill off.
  2. Pat your roast with paper towels to dry the surface.
  3. Drizzle the roast with olive oil and use your hands to rub the olive oil, coating all sides.
  4. Sprinkle all sides, including ends, with the seasoning mix.
  5. Transfer it to your preheated to 500 degrees F oven. Roast for 15 minutes until nicely browned. Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F and continue to roast to 130F, 40-50 minutes.
  6. Transfer the roast to a cutting board to rest for about 20 minutes before slicing it against the grain.

The answer is always a new toy - I mean tool. ;)

If my thin slices were easier to eat, then I'd be picking a slicer, but they don't seem to be any better.

I did discover that slicing it thin and chopping into small pieces before cooking till it had crispy bits (like a cheese steak) was pretty good.

The answer is always a new toy - I mean tool. ;)

If my thin slices were easier to eat, then I'd be picking a slicer, but they don't seem to be any better.

I did discover that slicing it thin and chopping into small pieces before cooking till it had crispy bits (like a cheese steak) was pretty good.
Sounds delicious

Sounds delicious
It was. I cooked the rest of it for my family with some onions and yellow peppers, and then put provolone with it. Tasty.

The thinner your you cut your steak, the easier it is to chew. One popular tip is to slice on a bias. This is a way of saying that you cut with your knife tilted on a 45 degree angle to your cutting board. This will increase the surface area of each slice, breaking down more muscle fibers and improving tenderness.
This works for roast also.

The thinner your you cut your steak, the easier it is to chew. One popular tip is to slice on a bias. This is a way of saying that you cut with your knife tilted on a 45 degree angle to your cutting board. This will increase the surface area of each slice, breaking down more muscle fibers and improving tenderness.
This works for roast also.
So, in wood working terms, not just a cross cut, but a beveled cross cut?

A slightly angled cut, across the grain. Works really well on steak, and works with larger cuts too.

Latest Discussions

Back