Chicken breast

bbqking

Reaction score
Grill
EX6, 3, 22” kettles, 18” kettle and a e310 gasser
I did some chicken breast. I seem to struggle doing chicken on the SmokeFire. I turned out rather tuff on the outside. The inside was perfect. Not much taste though. The sauce really helped, and I’m not a sauce person. I think I might just do chicken on the gas or charcoal, from now on.
1206E70A-DE68-49AA-BF86-C7A1F564777B.jpeg
A80B66A8-A26E-4C41-BB47-C9061F7BB2A1.jpeg
79E09F95-EA14-48C9-B7F8-AA59D43A0A10.jpeg

Last edited:
I've found that with chicken, especially breast meat, that some kind of brine is the only way I get the moistness and flavor I'm looking for when smoking. Even if it's just putting it in a brine bucket first thing in the morning and getting a 6-8 hour soak before cooking. Even when I've done drumsticks or thighs on the SF, it makes a big difference. For cuts (or the whole bird) with skin, just going low-and-slow will almost always give you a tough or rubbery finish. I try and counteract that a bit by cranking the temp up to 400 at the very end and putting the meat skin side down for a few minutes. It doesn't exactly turn it super crispy by any stretch, but I find it an improvement. For as "easy" as chicken is prep-wise, it's actually a finicky protein to cook.

Last edited:
Thanks for the question and the answers, they definitely make me want to try some things out that I have been avoiding. Maybe a slow and low grill and a hot finish grill setup...? Something to look forward to this weekend at any rate. Cheers!

I've been trying to figure chicken breast out and this weekend things went pretty well. I've found that brining for 1 hour or more really helps with the moisture. I do a quick rinse after b/c otherwise it can be super salty. Dry chicken and add rub. This weekend I used the smoke boost for 15 mins to enhance the smokey flavor. I probably could have done longer. I then pull chicken and raise temp to 400. Let grill stabilize. Grill 8 mins per side until 165. Flip once or twice. Comes off moist with some smoke flavor.

It's not perfect; I am still on the hunt for the right rub, could use a little more smoke, and I still want better grill marks so will play with my temps. But it's not a bad start.

I've been trying to figure chicken breast out and this weekend things went pretty well. I've found that brining for 1 hour or more really helps with the moisture. I do a quick rinse after b/c otherwise it can be super salty. Dry chicken and add rub. This weekend I used the smoke boost for 15 mins to enhance the smokey flavor. I probably could have done longer. I then pull chicken and raise temp to 400. Let grill stabilize. Grill 8 mins per side until 165. Flip once or twice. Comes off moist with some smoke flavor.

It's not perfect; I am still on the hunt for the right rub, could use a little more smoke, and I still want better grill marks so will play with my temps. But it's not a bad start.
I was thinking along the same lines but trying a slow cook @ 225 over a water pan on the SF until 120, spritzing along the way, and then using the Summit at 600+ (in this colder weather) to get some decent lines. Good to know I am perhaps on the right track. Thanks!

For me at least when I’ve tried low and slow with breasts they dry out, so I just cook them higher temp now. Though I haven’t tried brining and starting slow then finishing hotter. Might have to give that a shot. Pounding is a good idea as the times where have a really thick side seem to dry out the worst due to amount of time takes to get up to temp.

Agree to all the above comments. I typically use whole boneless breasts. I make a general purpose rub for pork & chicken, some heat & sweet. Rub it on let sit for about 1hr. Low & slow on the SF 225F till the internal temp is 135F. The gasser is running at 600F, throw the breasts on for a few minutes each side till the internal is about 160F. Get some good grill marks and caramelize the sugars in the rub. Let rest for 10 min and it reaches temp covered. Extremely juicy and tender. Even the next day for leftovers they remain moist inside. I guess this is considered a reverse sear. Since I have been doing beef with a reverse sear on the SF, no more tough steaks in my house. SF rules....

Agree to all the above comments. I typically use whole boneless breasts. I make a general purpose rub for pork & chicken, some heat & sweet. Rub it on let sit for about 1hr. Low & slow on the SF 225F till the internal temp is 135F. The gasser is running at 600F, throw the breasts on for a few minutes each side till the internal is about 160F. Get some good grill marks and caramelize the sugars in the rub. Let rest for 10 min and it reaches temp covered. Extremely juicy and tender. Even the next day for leftovers they remain moist inside. I guess this is considered a reverse sear. Since I have been doing beef with a reverse sear on the SF, no more tough steaks in my house. SF rules....
Excellent, I’ll have to try that. Basically what I do with steaks too.

I pound the chicken and follow the cooking program on the app and the chicken turns out great. I used to cook low and slow but the Weber SF has me cooking hotter than I normally would but the results are great. I do not brine the chicken breasts just rub them down with olive oil and season then throw them on the grill.

Well the inside of my breasts where perfectly tender, and moist. It was the outside that was this weird papery texture. These where skinless breast too. I’ve almost always done chicken on the gasser, or whole chickens on the kettle. I’ll get it one of these days, the SF can get hot, I did great steaks on it at 500...looked just like from the gasser, or hot kettle

Well the inside of my breasts where perfectly tender, and moist. It was the outside that was this weird papery texture. These where skinless breast too. I’ve almost always done chicken on the gasser, or whole chickens on the kettle. I’ll get it one of these days, the SF can get hot, I did great steaks on it at 500...looked just like from the gasser, or hot kettle
Try cooking them at 500 on the WSF 4-6 min per side. Use a probe or the cooking programs. If you cook them too low they get rubbery.

Same experience, always higher heat on boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest Discussions

Back