Chicken wings

Rustytrout58

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX6
So what’s all y’all’s temp and time for wings? Always done them in the oven but want that smoke!

I think wings are best cooked to 175-185 IT like thighs, because of all the connective tissues. I’ve done lower temps if you want a smokier profile (250-275). I’ve also done up to 400 for hot and fast with a better char on them. It’s preference or you could smoke em low then crank it up for 20 minutes. I feel pellet cookers do a great job with wings because there is ample air flow to dry the skin. Brine them if you want superhero status!

I did these on 250 for like 1,5 hours yesterday

IMG_20210428_212813_140.jpg

I did these on 250 for like 1,5 hours yesterday

View attachment 3855
OK so first of all... 🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤

Second of all, please please please share your recipe on this.

Third of all what the heck is that rack the wings are hanging off of? And where did you cook the wingettes? I don't see them in your picture.

Fourth of all, you're really saying you slow-cooked those for 1.5 hours at only 250 degrees? What was their internal?

Those sure look like legs to me. The rack is a leg and wing rack. Just search on Amazon for options. Looks like his has a drip pan which isn’t a necessity but some will like it.

Those sure look like legs to me. The rack is a leg and wing rack. Just search on Amazon for options. Looks like his has a drip pan which isn’t a necessity but some will like it.
I did search. I found several different products all claiming to be a leg and wing rack, and then in the reviews, guys were posting pictures of wings falling off mid cook because the spacing was too large for wings! I’m bummed!! I hate chicken legs, I’m a breast man, so those options are no good to me. I need an actual wing rack, and one that can also accommodate wingettes unless I buy the whole chicken wings not separated…

Last edited:
I did search. I found several different products all claiming to be a leg and wing rack, and then in the reviews, guys were posting pictures of wings falling off mid cool because the spacing was too large for wings! I’m bummed!! I hate chicken legs, I’m a breast man, so those options are no good to me. I need an actual wing rack, and one that can also accommodate wingettes unless I buy the whole chicken wings not separated…
Just cook them on the cooking grid. I’ve never used a rack and do them all the time. No sweat. I almost always part out my wings into flats and drums. I dispose the tips.

F3434C76-ADA0-415A-94E1-E6641DC0C6A2.jpeg
4EEB0650-FB34-4356-8AE0-89D974966012.jpeg

Just cook them on the cooking grid. I’ve never used a rack and do them all the time. No sweat. I almost always part out my wings into flats and drums. I dispose the tips.
What cooking grid? You mean the actual grill? Won’t they stick when I try to take them off?

No you can cook anything on the cooking grid. Once the mallard reaction occurs, it won’t stick. Just leave the food alone long enough for the bottom to cook a while and the reaction between the food and metal will take place.

OK so first of all... 🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤

Second of all, please please please share your recipe on this.

Third of all what the heck is that rack the wings are hanging off of? And where did you cook the wingettes? I don't see them in your picture.

Fourth of all, you're really saying you slow-cooked those for 1.5 hours at only 250 degrees? What was their internal?
I think I used HC Red on those and yeah are legs not wings lol

We just did our first wing attempt on our new EX6. We did smoke boost for 60 minutes and then 400 degrees for 20 minutes. These came out amazing! Meat pulled off the bone without falling off and skin was nice and crispy.

IMG_3412.jpeg

IMG_3414.jpeg

I usually put mine in for 45-60 minutes at 275. Then I turn the grill up to 350 and give them maybe 5-10 minutes to crisp up. I have also put them in the air fryer too (instead of turning up the grill) and they taste great.

(Soak them in beer for 6-8 hours prior for some tasty tenderizing or even brine them)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest Discussions

Back