HOT! First 3 Cooks on Searwood XL 600

GreySteele

Reaction score
Grill
Searwood 600XL
I had been looking for some reviews and not much out there so I took the plunge and figured I would post it up.

So I’ve been in the market for a pellet smoker for a couple years, never took the plunge. I've had a couple vertical smokers before. When I saw weber was coming out with the Searwood with hopefully everything they have learned from the Smokefire I was intrigued. Especially if it can do direct fire grilling. I loved my old genesis grill and I think weber makes a good product at a nice price point. I sold that grill when I moved 5 years ago as the new house had a built in DCS grill (way too expensive and repair parts are ridiculous $ and its nothing special and still has hot spots) I almost went with a rec tec built in but was turned off by all the water intrusion reviews.

So putting a little faith that Weber had learned with their redesign, I ordered from Ace as soon as available. Delivered to the store in like 5 or 6 days and when I got the notification, went right down as I didn’t want them to even have a chance to open it or worse try to build it for the showroom. Still on the pallet so we loaded it up and brought it home. Assembly is pretty easy and there is a 3d app that gives all the instruction right on the phone. Used weber pellets as didn’t want to add in any variables and burned in same day. Absolutely no issues with burn in or the shut down. Grabbed a pork loin to give it a try. It was late so didn’t really smoke it, just did it at like 300 degrees. Good results, not a lot of smoke (a little) but it was late so no time for that.

Then later in the week did a turkey breast and 6 turkey legs. I injected the breast and legs with a homemade butter/broth/spice. No brining. I did smoke boost at 180 degrees for about an hour and a half. Decent amount of smoke. Then went to 275 degrees to get them done. Moist and smokey. Perfect startup, temp changes and shutdown. No Issues.

Tonight I was interested if it could actually grill so just did some quick burgers and set it to the “I10” setting to grill. Let it heat for 15 minutes and the heat deflector was glowing red! Good sear marks on the burgers and too easy at 3 minutes a side. I did wimp out and turn it down to 8 halfway through the first side. Fantastic burgers. I would say this thing can direct fire grill. No issues with start up or shut down.

I have yet to clean it but probably will after tonight. The grease system is working well and I could probably be lazy and get a couple more lite cooks before truly needing it but I don’t want to fly too close to the sun.

So I have not done a true low and slow cook yet but so far the Searwood is everything I wanted.

As proof that you can own a Searwood and a camera here are a few pics of the packaging, as built, and the deflector glowing red to sear some burgers.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 9.11.06 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 9.12.02 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 9.12.51 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 9.13.32 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 9.14.26 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 9.15.13 PM.png

I had been looking for some reviews and not much out there so I took the plunge and figured I would post it up.

So I’ve been in the market for a pellet smoker for a couple years, never took the plunge. I've had a couple vertical smokers before. When I saw weber was coming out with the Searwood with hopefully everything they have learned from the Smokefire I was intrigued. Especially if it can do direct fire grilling. I loved my old genesis grill and I think weber makes a good product at a nice price point. I sold that grill when I moved 5 years ago as the new house had a built in DCS grill (way too expensive and repair parts are ridiculous $ and its nothing special and still has hot spots) I almost went with a rec tec built in but was turned off by all the water intrusion reviews.

So putting a little faith that Weber had learned with their redesign, I ordered from Ace as soon as available. Delivered to the store in like 5 or 6 days and when I got the notification, went right down as I didn’t want them to even have a chance to open it or worse try to build it for the showroom. Still on the pallet so we loaded it up and brought it home. Assembly is pretty easy and there is a 3d app that gives all the instruction right on the phone. Used weber pellets as didn’t want to add in any variables and burned in same day. Absolutely no issues with burn in or the shut down. Grabbed a pork loin to give it a try. It was late so didn’t really smoke it, just did it at like 300 degrees. Good results, not a lot of smoke (a little) but it was late so no time for that.

Then later in the week did a turkey breast and 6 turkey legs. I injected the breast and legs with a homemade butter/broth/spice. No brining. I did smoke boost at 180 degrees for about an hour and a half. Decent amount of smoke. Then went to 275 degrees to get them done. Moist and smokey. Perfect startup, temp changes and shutdown. No Issues.

Tonight I was interested if it could actually grill so just did some quick burgers and set it to the “I10” setting to grill. Let it heat for 15 minutes and the heat deflector was glowing red! Good sear marks on the burgers and too easy at 3 minutes a side. I did wimp out and turn it down to 8 halfway through the first side. Fantastic burgers. I would say this thing can direct fire grill. No issues with start up or shut down.

I have yet to clean it but probably will after tonight. The grease system is working well and I could probably be lazy and get a couple more lite cooks before truly needing it but I don’t want to fly too close to the sun.

So I have not done a true low and slow cook yet but so far the Searwood is everything I wanted.

As proof that you can own a Searwood and a camera here are a few pics of the packaging, as built, and the deflector glowing red to sear some burgers.

View attachment 6372
View attachment 6373
View attachment 6374
View attachment 6375
View attachment 6376
View attachment 6377
Nice information. Thanks. Be interesting to see how these hold up to the high heat. I’m hoping the stainless helps.

Congrats on the new Searwood and welcome to the forum! 🍻 Glad to hear it's working well. (y)

Nice information. Thanks. Be interesting to see how these hold up to the high heat. I’m hoping the stainless helps.
That chimney heat deflector that was glowing is very thick. I do think they put the metal where it needed to be. Some of the other deflectors are definitely thinner.

But honestly, if I have to throw some repair parts at it in a few years, I’m not worried.

Latest Discussions

Back