Flare Ups

zman

Reaction score
Really interested on how this grill handles flare ups without having the large drip plan. Flare ups while cooking a turkey at 350 or while slow cooking briskets, pork butts etc. would be a deal breaker. I want this grill as a smoker, not for its searing steaks capability, I have a Genesis for that. Any experiences with this would be greatly appreciated.
sear.JPG

I think we all must have seen all the videos by now, when I watched that one it was scary, looked like the steaks were searing in the fires of hell, going to have to see it in action for that type of grilling, as far as the low and slow such as 200 to 275 I don't see an issue for Turkey, Prime Rib reverse sear, I am going to use a drip pan on the bars, I guess before the month is out we'll see how people are working with it

I personally think the flare up thing is improper use, and not keeping it clean. I know I know....Weber touted it as an all in one capable thing, but I’ve cooked many things on my EX6, and haven’t even come close to a flare up. I keep it clean and use foil drip pan(s) as needed. I did use it once without using a wired rack to place food on and it was messy. But quickly cleaned it up and. It only took 2minutes.

I agree w/bbqking - flareups don't happen if you use a drip-tray. In my opinion after having used this for a few months now - Weber should design and include a drip-pan made of CAST IRON - with a lip that sends drippings/grease into a separate disposable loaf-pan located in the ash-tray at the bottom of the grill. This would require a minor redesign/modification of the bottom of the grill... but I see no reason why this wouldn't work as there is plenty of extra room in that tray at the bottom... The only mod to the bottom would be to catch the drippings from the cast-iron drip-pan and direct it into the new catchment area at the bottom... nothing mechanical needed - then users can decide whether or not to use the drip-tray at their own discretion.

I cranked mine to 600 and put on some fatty lamb, holy shit flare up!! Over heated the SF and it shut down.
totally my fault, being way too comfortable. 🍻🍻Did the exact cook a week later and perfect.

Last edited:
Total red herring. Grease fires are a possibility with any cooker. The flare ups shown by BB Maniac are totally contrived by doing long low and slow with huge amounts of fat rendering followed directly by a high heat cook. Animal fat combusts at 375. Any cooker with huge amounts of animal drippings in it will combust if you crank it up. Drip pan or no drip pan. Heat diffuser or not. Total BS. Should be ashamed.

I cranked mine to 600 and put on some fatty lamb, holy shit flare up!! Over heated the SF and it shut down.
totally my fault, being way too comfortable. 🍻🍻Did the exact cook a week later and perfect.
Did the same with my Summit 670 earlier this year after forgetting to empty the grease pan. So far no issue with my EX4.

Even pellet grills require standard cleaning protocols. And it takes three minutes on the SF.
Totally agree. I am really happy with how easy it is to clean the Smokefire. It’s considerably less work than most pellet cookers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest Discussions

Back