Has anyone purchased the Weber Slate?

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone picked up the new Weber Slate yet? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

I’m about to order one I think. Been wanting a griddle for a while. Looks much better than the older Weber griddle but wish there were more reviews

I’m about to order one I think. Been wanting a griddle for a while. Looks much better than the older Weber griddle but wish there were more reviews
Nice looking forward to your reviews!!

Got my new Weber 30" Slate delivered last Friday (4/26). Ordered in online from Ace Hardware, and because I belong to their Rewards program, I got free assembly and delivery.

It supposed to be pre-seasoned, but most of the reviews I've seen say you should still season it before using it, so I did. First cook was a Smashburger for my wife and a couple of Smashburger tacos for me. Next morning I cooked a pound of thick-cut bacon and some breakfast sausages al at the same time, that cooked up some scrambled eggs. Cooks great, and plenty of shelves on my model (Ace Hardware exclusive model). Heat controls much better that the Blackstone 22" table-top griddle I was using.

I'm very satisfied with it so far. I purchased the Weber cover for it, and it isn't the quality of the Traeger cover I got (for free) when I purchased my Ironwood 650 a few years ago. Traeger cover is a lot thicker and looks more durable that the Weber cover. Reason I bought the Weber cover was because all of the third-party covers were way to tall (long) for the Slate.

I picked up the Ace exclusive also. Wanted the front folding shelf. I also seasoned mine before first cook. I’ve made smash burgers, chicken quesadillas, grilled turkey & cheese sandwiches, and some veggies so far. This is my first griddle so can’t really compare but I’m happy with it. Has hot spot at middle burner it seems but seems pretty consistent with temps and has good range between low and high. Temp gauge seems decently accurate for the spot the coupler is at. I’m still using temp gun to check temps across the whole surface. I also ended up replacing my SmokeFire with Recteq Backyard Beast due to second motor failure. Though Weber ended up sending me a new motor.
IMG_0317.jpeg

I picked up the Ace exclusive also. Wanted the front folding shelf. I also seasoned mine before first cook. I’ve made smash burgers, chicken quesadillas, grilled turkey & cheese sandwiches, and some veggies so far. This is my first griddle so can’t really compare but I’m happy with it. Has hot spot at middle burner it seems but seems pretty consistent with temps and has good range between low and high. Temp gauge seems decently accurate for the spot the coupler is at. I’m still using temp gun to check temps across the whole surface. I also ended up replacing my SmokeFire with Recteq Backyard Beast due to second motor failure. Though Weber ended up sending me a new motor.
View attachment 6430
Very nice Abmet, your set up for a nice summer! Enjoy! Post pics of the beast please.

I’m definitely set up for the summer, out of room, had to move the WSM under the deck.
IMG_8127.jpeg

I’m loving the Slate. Made bacon and eggs for breakfast this morning.

I’m definitely set up for the summer, out of room, had to move the WSM under the deck.
View attachment 6431
I'm curious about the Beast also! My local Ace had them & they look solid. What pizza oven do you have there? And the cart? And lastly, how does the Slate perform vs an insert? I bought the full size insert for my Genesis 4, but you must not have wanted to deal with an insert?

I tried a a small cheap griddle on my Genesis before and didn’t use it that much as it really didn’t perform that great as a griddle surface, though I’m sure a full size grill specific one would have been better. Another big difference is the grease management and cleanup. With the Slate I can just scrape it into the grease trap and basically wipe clean. With the insert it made a mess in my Genesis.

So far Beast has been great. I think it displays temp more real-time than SmokeFire does. SmokeFire seemed to be more like an oven where showed no temp fluctuation when know there is some. That’s nature of any grill with wood fired heat source to have fluctuations. Still getting used to what temps to use compared to SmokeFire since I knew where the hot spots where and what temps specific cooks turned out better for me.

The pizza oven is Ooni Koda 16 and the cart is one I found on Amazon and then added locking casters to it. Looks like is currently unavailable but sure there are other similar ones out there. I think it was around $100 when I got it couple years ago. I love the Koda, before getting the griddle was making pizza pretty much weekly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NV3PWY..._ud_dp_8PGP2RHR0F38MTPPWAVF_1&skipTwisterOG=2

Edited to fix link

I tried a a small cheap griddle on my Genesis before and didn’t use it that much as it really didn’t perform that great as a griddle surface, though I’m sure a full size grill specific one would have been better. Another big difference is the grease management and cleanup. With the Slate I can just scrape it into the grease trap and basically wipe clean. With the insert it made a mess in my Genesis.

So far Beast has been great. I think it displays temp more real-time than SmokeFire does. SmokeFire seemed to be more like an oven where showed no temp fluctuation when know there is some. That’s nature of any grill with wood fired heat source to have fluctuations. Still getting used to what temps to use compared to SmokeFire since I knew where the hot spots where and what temps specific cooks turned out better for me.

The pizza oven is Ooni Koda 16 and the cart is one I found on Amazon and then added locking casters to it. Looks like is currently unavailable but sure there are other similar ones out there. I think it was around $100 when I got it couple years ago. I love the Koda, before getting the griddle was making pizza pretty much weekly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NV3PWY..._ud_dp_8PGP2RHR0F38MTPPWAVF_1&skipTwisterOG=2

Edited to fix link
Living the good life Abmet!!

Back