Help with Smokefire ex4 - bad igniter? or power supply??

haeffnkr

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX4
I bought a 1st Gen ex4 used.
It supposedly it gave the guy no issues for some years but then it would not work recently and he just gave up on it and sold it to me cheap. Weber sent him a new motherboard and igniter. I believe that made it the display come on and work until the motor or igniter tried to fire. I bought it today and the display/unit was dead.

Now... I spent a few hours playing with it... the unit will power up with the igniter UNPLUGGED.
If the igniter is plugged in, the until will not power on and the power supply will not put out 24v and the green led will not stay solid, it just flashes.... and the small control board will not have the 5 and 12 v led on. Once I plug pull the plug on the igniter the until powers on and I can see the menu and the fans runs. When I put a cheap ohm meter on the 2 leads going to the igniter is appears to measure a dead short. What resistance should I see on a good igniter? How do I test the igniter?

I pulled the auger and the motor off. I can turn the motor with a crescent wrench so I assume it is not locked up.

Any help would be appreciated
thanks haeffnkr

Back