Holy Cow

bbqking

Reaction score
Grill
EX6, 3, 22” kettles, 18” kettle and a e310 gasser
So started the SF up to do ribs. It was fine. Opened lid once up to temp, placed ribs in. 10 minutes got a temp drop. Said check owners manual, or check pellet level. Did not give error. Didn’t hear pellets dropping, so opened hopper, stirred pellets, I heared them start dropping again. Still dropped temp. Put into shut down mode. It then started pouring out white smoke like me crazy, opened lid, and it went like white smoke bezerk! So I waited till it stopped smoking and realized the pellets where blazing almost to the grill rack. Mind you it’s in shut down mode. Took out racks and all innards and the glow plug area was blazing fire, and the pellets where still dumping in, all while in shut down mode. Waiting for cool down to vacuum, see what the hack happened. I did just switch pellets and the last of the pit boss, first of Weber, was starting. Took meat off before white smoke ruined them.

Attachments

• 6E686B52-28CC-4995-BF5F-56FD0900B291.jpeg
    6E686B52-28CC-4995-BF5F-56FD0900B291.jpeg
    398.2 KB · Views: 136
  • E5DFCA48-19B8-4A33-ACF0-146BE8F2838E.jpeg
    E5DFCA48-19B8-4A33-ACF0-146BE8F2838E.jpeg
    308.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 45733031-096F-4731-A0E7-400ED399CB8E.jpeg
    45733031-096F-4731-A0E7-400ED399CB8E.jpeg
    472.7 KB · Views: 144
The picture don’t do it justice. It was bad.

Well, fooey! Cleaned her up , restarted. Started and 85. Went to 95 and stopped just dropped back to 90....??

So started the SF up to do ribs. It was fine. Opened lid once up to temp, placed ribs in. 10 minutes got a temp drop. Said check owners manual, or check pellet level. Did not give error. Didn’t hear pellets dropping, so opened hopper, stirred pellets, I heared them start dropping again. Still dropped temp. Put into shut down mode. It then started pouring out white smoke like me crazy, opened lid, and it went like white smoke bezerk! So I waited till it stopped smoking and realized the pellets where blazing almost to the grill rack. Mind you it’s in shut down mode. Took out racks and all innards and the glow plug area was blazing fire, and the pellets where still dumping in, all while in shut down mode. Waiting for cool down to vacuum, see what the hack happened. I did just switch pellets and the last of the pit boss, first of Weber, was starting. Took meat off before white smoke ruined them.
I had that happen once.

Glow plug not getting hot...sigh

Wierd I don’t know how to tell if it’s bad.

Last edited:
So Weber is sending me a new auger, assembly/glow plug set up. I’m not sure is that will fix the problem. Seems like a software issue...who knows. Also, they won’t send anyone out to do the replacement..,because I bought it second hand. Might call back and snivel about that. They are sending me all the other stuff for free.

So Weber is sending me a new auger, assembly/glow plug set up. I’m not sure is that will fix the problem. Seems like a software issue...who knows. Also, they won’t send anyone out to do the replacement..,because I bought it second hand. Might call back and snivel about that. They are sending me all the other stuff for free.
Weber are sending free replacement parts for a unit that is possibly out of warranty because you purchased it second hand and you are thinking about complaining that they aren't going to send someone out to install the parts for you??

Envy’s if you have a multi-meter set it to continuity and touch one prove to the tip and the other to the body. If it is bad it will read as open.
That is like talking pig Latin to me. Lol. I don’t have one, and wouldn’t have a clue where to put it or what to look for.

Weber are sending free replacement parts for a unit that is possibly out of warranty because you purchased it second hand and you are thinking about complaining that they aren't going to send someone out to install the parts for you
Uh....YES! It’s a Weber product that was brand new when I got it. If it was made poorly...aka vehicle recall, it shouldn’t matter. I was up front with them. Warranty is warranty,

Uh....YES! It’s a Weber product that was brand new when I got it. If it was made poorly...aka vehicle recall, it shouldn’t matter. I was up front with them. Warranty is warranty,
Ok.. Best of luck getting your problem fixed. There are a few videos on youtube (a harry soo one comes to mind) that will help you with the hopper swap. The manual (or BLIT) app will show you how to replace the glow plug.

I’m just saying...they are replacing other parts for free, with the warranty...it doesn’t make sense to do one part and not the other. I’m 47 and have muscular dystrophy. So I know, up til about 10 years I go I could have done it myself. We do what we can....

I do think that it’s weird the when I put it into shut down mode, it makes the sounds like it shutting off but keeps feeding pellets into the burn pot. Any thoughts on that? That seems to me there some wires crossed, or software issue. Only thing is the glow plug wasn’t working, At the end.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest Discussions

Back