Melted Metal

SmokeDaddy

Reaction score
Grill
Weber SmokeFire EX6 Gen 1 -> 2, Weber 22 Kettle (2), Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Spirit E-210 LP, Custom-Built Sidewinder Stickburner..
Had a flameout about 6 hours into a brisket on my EX6. I was trying out Knotty Wood Plum pellets running at 240°F. Found these in the bottom of the firebox as I was cleaning it out the next day.. Any idea what they are? Where they came from? That's a lot of metal.
IMG_20240414_144746538_HDR.jpg

Had a flameout about 6 hours into a brisket on my EX6. I was trying out Knotty Wood Plum pellets running at 240°F. Found these in the bottom of the firebox as I was cleaning it out the next day.. Any idea what they are? Where they came from? That's a lot of metal.View attachment 6406
That’s a lot of metal is right.

Yikes, wonder if was in the pellets?

Had a flameout about 6 hours into a brisket on my EX6. I was trying out Knotty Wood Plum pellets running at 240°F. Found these in the bottom of the firebox as I was cleaning it out the next day.. Any idea what they are? Where they came from? That's a lot of metal.View attachment 6406
I also use the Knottywood pellets. The first time I used their plum pellets I found those also. I went to start up my EX4, after a long cook, and it wouldn't ignite. I found these gray, almost like concrete, pieces were covering the glow plug.

Turns out that it is clinker. From Knottywood, "This clinker is from the bark of the tree and the knots in the wood. The knots are where all the minerals collect, and bark is where the fugitive dust collects. When burned, the dust mixes with the minerals and crystallizes with the dust to form the clinker. Not a big deal, but rather the tradeoff for stick burner quality BBQ pellets. At Knotty Wood our goal is to make pellets that are stick burner quality. We recommend frequently cleaning your fire pot as this will help to prevent clinker from forming."
clinker

Last edited:
I also use Knotty Wood Pellets. The Clinkers build up after a couple of regular cooks, and after long cooks. I now clean out the fire box frequently.

Pellets are some of the best I’ve used. So I don’t mind the extra clean up.

I also use Knotty Wood Pellets. The Clinkers build up after a couple of regular cooks, and after long cooks. I now clean out the fire box frequently.

Pellets are some of the best I’ve used. So I don’t mind the extra clean up.
Also, Plum develop Clinkers faster than Almond, but both will.

Thank you, everyone! Very informative! Not sure how to clean the firebox mid-brisket, but at least now I know.

Thank you, everyone! Very informative! Not sure how to clean the firebox mid-brisket, but at least now I know.
Personally, for the long cooks, I use their Almond Cabernet blend and have never had an issue with clinker.

I don’t this kind use that stuff. I’ve never had anything but ash.
That being said I’ve only used Weber and Cabellas pellets.
Good luck.

Back