Pellet test

JpsBBQ

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire ex 4, WSM 22, Weber Summit charcoal S6, Weber 22” kettle, Weber Summit natural gas grilling station, various Traegers, Camp Chef WW36, couple BGE’s, pit barrel cooker, and some other stuff
Even though these guys said one thing when tasting blind they still couldn’t overcome their prejudged bias in the wrap up. Note they clearly stated that a particular brand was real good, 3rd favorite for them, and darn good. In the wrap up he still insists he doesn’t like them personally. It’s difficult to overcome peoples preconceived notions. The value of blind tasting is powerful and often eye popping. Enjoy. 🤣

The published results chart in the link.

LOL. Just asked what Weber pellets to use for cooking up ribs and your video has lead me to go with Grill Master blend. That was fun to watch.

LOL. Just asked what Weber pellets to use for cooking up ribs and your video has lead me to go with Grill Master blend. That was fun to watch.
The Lumberjack pellets in this test are basically the Weber grill master blend. They came in a close second to the traeger pellets. Obviously it's subjective, but less so when done blindly.

Good choice on your part IMO.

I'm going to try Meat Church Honey Hog and Holy Voodoo rubs on the ribs. I will post pics of the cook. Can't wait to try it out!
Yeah sounds good. Sweet and a bit o heat from the voodoo. 👍🏻

Even though these guys said one thing when tasting blind they still couldn’t overcome their prejudged bias in the wrap up. Note they clearly stated that a particular brand was real good, 3rd favorite for them, and darn good. In the wrap up he still insists he doesn’t like them personally. It’s difficult to overcome peoples preconceived notions. The value of blind tasting is powerful and often eye popping. Enjoy. 🤣

Note that the two cooks admitted that 36 hours of breathing smoke could have influenced their palates and choices. Also, the Mad Scientist prevously posted a video indicating Traeger sold "wood flavored" pellets, which they were sued over.

Note that the two cooks admitted that 36 hours of breathing smoke could have influenced their palates and choices. Also, the Mad Scientist prevously posted a video indicating Traeger sold "wood flavored" pellets, which they were sued over.
Do more research. Did you watch the whole thing? Did you review the results chart? He’s embarrassed. They aren’t wood flavored pelllets. That’s internet troll bs. How did the lawsuit end up? They are 100% hardwood pellets. The experienced panel was overwhelmingly in their favor and they weren’t cooking for hours. That’s an excuse to hide their embarrassment. Did it only affect the one brand on their delicate pallets? 🤣. I give him credit for airing the video. He’s a bigger man than most. Right? Most people will try to defend their prejudices and biases to the bitter end. Right? 🤣 Hard to explain away a blind test. That’s why I love them.

I use the Weber pellets (lumberjack) in my Smokefire. For the record.

They are lumberjack pellets.

Cfraft beer flights come with water to clear your palate between samples. Regardless, taste is subjective, as were the resultant pellet choice votes.

The store owner in the video discusses the various brands and the methods used in manufacturing. He’s pretty darn knowledgeable I must say. Some keep the bark on to try and create more smoke flavor. It’s debatable what really works. Some will say that leaving the bark gives it the smoke flavor. Some will say it causes an inefficient fire which as a byproduct creates a smoke profile. It’s also debatable what is better. Some people like more smoke other prefer a more subtle profile. I say use what you prefer but please stop the nonsense of trying to say one major brand is demonstrably worse than the others when it’s clearly not the case. This test makes that very clear. I know these things are subjective, that’s why I would never get upset over someone using pellets that I do not use. Regardless of my silly reasons. It’s just nonsense. Period.

Cfraft beer flights come with water to clear your palate between samples. Regardless, taste is subjective, as were the resultant pellet choice votes.
They could drink water between bites and maybe they did 🤷🏼‍♂️

Also many pellets are a blend of hardwoods whether it says so or not. Not that many are 100% species specific. Some are. I don’t give two craps about that cuz I blend pellets all the time intentionally. These rigid ideologies are not a virtue. If you ever run across real flavored pellets you will know. They will knock you over with their specific odor. I’ve tested some before. They are not subtle more like opening an air freshener.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest Discussions

Back