Pellets...

dbk402

Reaction score
Anyone out there buying, trying different pellets other than Weber brand? Local Costco sells Traeger and I'm considering because of the price point. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I purchased a 40Lb bag of B&B Competition Blend pellets for $14.95 at my local Academy Sports store. They provide good smoke and seem to give off less ash than the Weber pellets. The pork loin I cooked @ 350 with these pellets tasted great and had a nice smoke ring. I did, however, have the issue with the pellet feed cavity that formed around and above the auger entry area causing a flame out. At first I thought perhaps it was the pellets, but now based on so many others reporting the issue even with Weber pellets I now know it's a hopper design issue, not the brand of pellets.

I have been thinking about trying some Lumberjack pellets. I've seen quite a few people recommend them. This is my first pellet grill so I've never used them before. I grabbed two bags of Weber grillmaster blend when I bought my EX4 and went back to Lowe's and grabbed three more bags Sunday.

B&B have been working great for me because I cannot get the Weber ones local here yet. To be fair I have only gone to 1 of the 3 Lowes we have in the area. I did order a cover, hickory, and apple pellets (did not have the competition blend online) directly from Weber yesterday and they got delivered today. Bonus to living only 5 hours from Chicago :)

I started off with the Texas blend of Green mountain grill. Gave the meet a nice flavor. Had my last cooks on the Pitboss Hickory. Less smoke and less flavor so far.

I really like the Treager gourmet blend at Costco for fish, poultry and chicken. I like the cooking pellets 40PM mix on Amazon too. For beef my favorite is the Treager Texas beef mix. I have used Treager, cooking pellets and green mountain pellets in my EX6 and have not had any issues since removing the guard.

I really like the Treager gourmet blend at Costco for fish, poultry and chicken. I like the cooking pellets 40PM mix on Amazon too. For beef my favorite is the Treager Texas beef mix. I have used Treager, cooking pellets and green mountain pellets in my EX6 and have not had any issues since removing the guard.
I did a long cook yesterday and my Treager pellets coked up and covered my ignitor snuffing my fire pot. The ignitor was completely encased in crusty burnt hard ash. Can't recommend them for long cooks.

Attachments

• P_20200224_150107.jpg
    P_20200224_150107.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 57
  • P_20200224_150113.jpg
    P_20200224_150113.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 58
What are your thoughts on the Pit Boss competition? Hard to pass up on 40# for $14.
They are my go to pellet. They are all natural and only use those woods, at least in the competition ones.
I prefer walmarts. The lowes ones are generally beat up and have more broken. I think walmart just turns them faster or something because they generally aren not that broken up.

I purchased a 40Lb bag of B&B Competition Blend pellets for $14.95 at my local Academy Sports store. They provide good smoke and seem to give off less ash than the Weber pellets. The pork loin I cooked @ 350 with these pellets tasted great and had a nice smoke ring. I did, however, have the issue with the pellet feed cavity that formed around and above the auger entry area causing a flame out. At first I thought perhaps it was the pellets, but now based on so many others reporting the issue even with Weber pellets I now know it's a hopper design issue, not the brand of pellets.
The response I got from Weber was to make sure my hopper was full and stir the pellets with a long object if a cavity occurs. Gee thanks Weber, I would have never thought to fill up the hopper or stir the pellets, however I don’t believe I should have to stir the pellets, that is a design issue. Not much faith in them doing the right thing and fixing these issues at this point. But I do not plan on returning my grill either. Stirring pellets or pushing them around is not a huge issue for me. I just don’t think I should have to do it.

The response I got from Weber was to make sure my hopper was full and stir the pellets with a long object if a cavity occurs. Gee thanks Weber, I would have never thought to fill up the hopper or stir the pellets, however I don’t believe I should have to stir the pellets, that is a design issue. Not much faith in them doing the right thing and fixing these issues at this point. But I do not plan on returning my grill either. Stirring pellets or pushing them around is not a huge issue for me. I just don’t think I should have to do it.
Yeah, that really isn't a great response, but I know for a fact that Weber is working on these issues. I personally discussed it on a conf call with them. Whether what they come up with will satisfy everyone, that is to be determined.

Yeah, that really isn't a great response, but I know for a fact that Weber is working on these issues. I personally discussed it on a conf call with them. Whether what they come up with will satisfy everyone, that is to be determined.
Good to know, thanks for sharing. My initial response from them was similar about using a long object to break up the void. I responded saying that's not really a good response to this seemingly larger more widespread issue. It took a while and multiple emails and I got back an apology for the delay and they that they are looking into it and would let me know more at some point. Holding out hope they come up with something. In the mean time I removed the finger guard, but unfortunately it broke when taking it off where the two pieces are connected. Guess I put to much pressure on it as I was trying to remove and reinsert each screw so the auger chute was still connected. Hope I don't need it in the future.

So far I've used the Weber competition blend, Weber Hickory, Camp Chef competition blend, Pitboss Apple, and Pitboss Cherry. I've done some blending of various flavors. This is my first pellet grill. I haven't had any issues with any of these brands of pellets.

edit. I did have bridging or a cavity form on my first rib cook using Weber Comp blend, but that was before I removed the finger guard from over the auger opening. I haven't had any issues since removing the guard with bridging. I have placed some nonstick aluminum foil on the shallow sloping side. I haven't had any issues with pellets sliding down from the shallow side.

Last edited:
I'm another fan of B&B pellets. I love their Apple pellets and use their post oak for brisket. I also have heard lots of good things about LumberJack. I used Kingsford pellets tonight while smoking some salmon and it turned out great.

kingsford-pellets-jpeg.1085

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest Discussions

Back