Searing Temps!

Corners

Reaction score
Grill
Still looking
Have set temp to 400, 500 and 600 on different occasions in order to do a good sear with sear marks. Temps hold until I open lid and turn steaks or open lid to do a temp check with meat probe. Temps then drop, as low as 325-350 - 225, and stays there. I can hear pellets dropping into burn pot, see flames through air chutes on the back. Grill fires up okay and quickly reaches set temp.
Weber has sent me all new parts from pellet slide to new auger, new pellets, glow plug etc. Nothing is helping. Only using Weber pellets. Outside temp in 45 - 60 degree range with small to no wind. All computer “updates” are installed.
Appreciate any suggestions. TKS.

When you open the lid, all the warm air goes out the top and is replaced by cold air. It takes time to reheat the chamber. That is normal function. And the SF is not designed to function with the lid up.

I have had slow recovery times in the past. And have found that ground pellets or dust partially clogged the auger. After removing and cleaning it works like new again for a while. I assume that the grill has a harder time keeping up with a slower feed due to a clogged flight on the auger. I would check if I were you it doesn't take much to decrease performance.

When you open the lid, all the warm air goes out the top and is replaced by cold air. It takes time to reheat the chamber. That is normal function. And the SF is not designed to function with the lid up.
TKS. I realize all of that. However, after closing the lid, the temp is not rising or going back up to where I originally set it; not even close. There are times when the lid must be opened; flipping steaks while searing. Moving items from lower to upper racks. That’s the only time I raise the lid.

I have had slow recovery times in the past. And have found that ground pellets or dust partially clogged the auger. After removing and cleaning it works like new again for a while. I assume that the grill has a harder time keeping up with a slower feed due to a clogged flight on the auger. I would check if I were you it doesn't take much to decrease performance.
I’ll be sure to check that. Thank you.

What you are seeing is how the controller "averages" the temp and uses those averages to controller the pellet feed rate, fan speed, etc. With that said, most problems have been corrected with the latest software. But I have been seeing some individuals having the controller replaced. Seems that some of the controllers are still not playing right. Have you been running an air probe? It tells you a lot.

What you are seeing is how the controller "averages" the temp and uses those averages to controller the pellet feed rate, fan speed, etc. With that said, most problems have been corrected with the latest software. But I have been seeing some individuals having the controller replaced. Seems that some of the controllers are still not playing right. Have you been running an air probe? It tells you a lot.
TKS. I have all the latest software installed. Been thinking of asking Weber for a new controller because EVERYTHING else has been replaced. No, not running an air probe.

Weber customer support wants me to photograph the front and rear of my grill. Also the inside and the fire pot. ????? Don’t understand why but I’ll comply. 👀🥴

Have set temp to 400, 500 and 600 on different occasions in order to do a good sear with sear marks. Temps hold until I open lid and turn steaks or open lid to do a temp check with meat probe. Temps then drop, as low as 325-350 - 225, and stays there. I can hear pellets dropping into burn pot, see flames through air chutes on the back. Grill fires up okay and quickly reaches set temp.
Weber has sent me all new parts from pellet slide to new auger, new pellets, glow plug etc. Nothing is helping. Only using Weber pellets. Outside temp in 45 - 60 degree range with small to no wind. All computer “updates” are installed.
Appreciate any suggestions. TKS.
PELLETS pellets! With my ongoing temp problems, I asked Weber customer service if their pellets could be the problem or part of the problem. Was told - No. I’ve tried three different bags of Weber’s pellets with all three bags being stored inside my Well, Pump house. The inside temp stays at a constant 70 degrees. I’ve double checked the pellets for condensation problems. All of them “SNAPPED” when I broke them. Weber even sent me TWO replacement bags and they were okay. Just grasping at straws here. I THINK the problem lies inside the auger so I’ll tear that apart. TKS to all for your input.

TKS. I have all the latest software installed. Been thinking of asking Weber for a new controller because EVERYTHING else has been replaced. No, not running an air probe.
You might pop out the controller and take a photo of the controller number. Then ask about that specific controller number.

Weber customer support wants me to photograph the front and rear of my grill. Also the inside and the fire pot. ????? Don’t understand why but I’ll comply. 👀🥴
I have heard of fire pots that have rusted/burnt out and do not hold the pellets so that they can burn properly. A photo of the data inside the pellet hopper should be enough for they to identify any part. They may have not had a good inventory/build data going in to the SF. At times, I think they are in a delay mode with the questions that they ask.

I have heard of fire pots that have rusted/burnt out and do not hold the pellets so that they can burn properly. A photo of the data inside the pellet hopper should be enough for they to identify any part. They may have not had a good inventory/build data going in to the SF. At times, I think they are in a delay mode with the questions that they ask.
Hey, TKS. Appreciate it.

You might pop out the controller and take a photo of the controller number. Then ask about that specific controller number.
Can this be accomplished by ????? 👀 😬 removal of what.

The face trim around the controller pops off and there are four screws. The controller lifts out and the number is on the back. Off and back on in under ten.

The face trim around the controller pops off and there are four screws. The controller lifts out and the number is on the back. Off and back on in under ten.
I really appreciate that. Will do it tomorrow.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest Discussions

Back