Soon.....

Goneincognito

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4, WSM 14.5", 22" kettle
So after the end of last week coming and going (advised delivery ETA) and still no word on my EX4, I confirmed today that it is in a warehouse about 2 hours away awaiting dispatch.

Hopefully another day or two.

Oooooooh the anticipation!

1606830833103.png

Be patient as I assume the updates need to be loaded still. At least some of them. I love mine

Be patient as I assume the updates need to be loaded still. At least some of them. I love mine

Yup.. I still need to work out the home mesh network as its setup to 2.4 and 5ghz off the one SSID and automatically switches devices to the strongest signal so I may need to make separate ones?

Originally (in a land far away (February)), there were discussions about the SF not connecting to 5 GHz networks. I do not know where those discussions are currently. I got a network extender and the SF only connects to the 2.4.

Originally (in a land far away (February)), there were discussions about the SF not connecting to 5 GHz networks. I do not know where those discussions are currently. I got a network extender and the SF only connects to the 2.4.
In my experience all the WiFi grills I have cooked on utilize the 2.4. Not just Weber.

Same here.

In my experience all the WiFi grills I have cooked on utilize the 2.4. Not just Weber.

FWIW, being a bit of a tech and gadget person, I can tell you that it's better that the grills use the 2.4 GHz band. Since, for most people, the grill is outside (hopefully) and your Wi-Fi router/access point is inside, the 2.4 GHz band has better ability to travel through walls and such, and has better range than the 5 GHz band. Given that no one is playing 4k Netflix movies on the SmokeFire screen (yet), there's no need for extra bandwidth that the 5 GHz band affords. Maybe more information than people care about here, but I thought I'd share.

FWIW, being a bit of a tech and gadget person, I can tell you that it's better that the grills use the 2.4 GHz band. Since, for most people, the grill is outside (hopefully) and your Wi-Fi router/access point is inside, the 2.4 GHz band has better ability to travel through walls and such, and has better range than the 5 GHz band. Given that no one is playing 4k Netflix movies on the SmokeFire screen (yet), there's no need for extra bandwidth that the 5 GHz band affords. Maybe more information than people care about here, but I thought I'd share.
Yep, I was aware.

Cool.. I will make a separate 2.4 network for the SmokeFire and my phone.
I did not do anything fancy. My in-house network was fine (4 different networks for different devices). My SF is outside behind a two story brick wall. I got a simple network extender and plugged it in next to the only upstairs window in the brick wall. Lets the SF have its only little network. Only problem is that for the updates to occur seamlessly is for my mobile device to be on the same network. Thus, I rely on advance notice of an update.........

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back