Split cooking

Old Man Grills

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX6
Has anybody ever tried to split cooking ribs or brisket over a couple of days?
We have friends coming over next weekend and the Commander-in-Chief has promised them BBQ. She has also promised to take them out to the beach on Saturday forgetting that the low and slow smoky goodness requires hours of love and attention.

I was wondering if its possible to do the bulk of the cooking on Friday and then finish it off on Saturday when we get back?

Other plans dictate that we only have Saturday for the BBQ.

Don’t recommend. Never heard of it, not good sanitary procedure. Bacteria may grow quickly

Has anybody ever tried to split cooking ribs or brisket over a couple of days?
We have friends coming over next weekend and the Commander-in-Chief has promised them BBQ. She has also promised to take them out to the beach on Saturday forgetting that the low and slow smoky goodness requires hours of love and attention.

I was wondering if its possible to do the bulk of the cooking on Friday and then finish it off on Saturday when we get back?

Other plans dictate that we only have Saturday for the BBQ.
I have done brisket a few days ahead of time, cooled, vacuum sealed, then either refrigerated or froze (depending on how far ahead) used sous vide to reheat, slice and serve. Turned out good, but excellent for making burnt ends; especially if doing a full brisket rather than just the flat.

Ribs not so much In my experience. They are okay reheated, but not the same (even if vacuum sealed )as they really should be freshly smoked. You can do them 2-1-1 at 225-250 and only takes 4 hours or so.

Thanks folks. Will have to put a sous vide machine and a vacuum sealer on my Christmas lists.
Cooking's an expensive business :ROFLMAO:
A vacuum sealer is a must for a lot of reasons. However, most vacuum seal bags can serve as sous vide bags, and a simple clip-on thermometer for use with any quality pot will work in a pinch. In fact I do not own a sous vide machine but vacuum sealer gets use weekly year around.

My wife has been big on the sous vide. We do a lot of steaks, then sear. She also does egg cups (small canning jars) with scrambled eggs, cheese, etc. Does about 16 at a time. Breakfast for a couple of weeks. Everything else is in a freezer Ziplock.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest Discussions

Back