Taking forever

MrPhilGrillTX

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
EX6 (+ a kettle from 2003)
Second cook on the EX6, so I'm still learning.
8.5 lb bone in pork shoulder on since at least 8:30 this morning (now almost 10:30) Just now getting to 180. I wrapped around 165 with butcher paper which was around 6:00, and increased the temp in the last 30 minute to 275 from 225. I put a water pan beneath it, and topped it off once, but now I'm leaving it alone. Suggestions? I might just bring it in and finish in the oven. Refilled (topped off) the hopper twice.
I had read about the stall, but this is getting ridiculous. Hit 150 around 3 or 4 this afternoon, and has been crawling since.

Second cook on the EX6, so I'm still learning.
8.5 lb bone in pork shoulder on since at least 8:30 this morning (now almost 10:30) Just now getting to 180. I wrapped around 165 with butcher paper which was around 6:00, and increased the temp in the last 30 minute to 275 from 225. I put a water pan beneath it, and topped it off once, but now I'm leaving it alone. Suggestions? I might just bring it in and finish in the oven. Refilled (topped off) the hopper twice.
I had read about the stall, but this is getting ridiculous. Hit 150 around 3 or 4 this afternoon, and has been crawling since.
At 225 you could easily be looking at 2 hours per pound, making yours a possible 16-17 hour cook. Starting at 275 puts you in the 1.5 hour per pound range. Of course that's all just rule of thumb. BBQ is done when it's done. And and this point finishing it in the oven is the same as on the SF. It's really not going to take on any more smoke.

Ok. I was thinking 1.5hr per pound. I may have to move it to the oven as I'm burning through the pellets. I think I'm running close to 2lbs/hr. Thanks. (Waves from Ft Worth)

Each shoulder (butt) is unique. I have had two side by side take 12 and 18 hours to get to 203. It's done when it's done.

Yep, I’ve had similar where one 8lb one took 10 hours and another 8lb one took 17. Crazy how different each piece of meat can be.

For anything that starts getting into 7 lbs. and over range, most would recommend that you add quite a bit of buffer in your cook math if you're working backward from serving time. The bigger the hunk of meat, the bigger the time window for when it's "done". It's never a good idea to try and put a pork butt or brisket on a schedule with little room for error. The good news, though, is that you can wrap and rest cuts like that for several hours and all will still be good.

I pulled it around midnight. Some parts were 202 others were 190+. It all came apart pretty easily this morning. I wrapped it and set it in the oven (with a note to not turn on the oven) to rest over night. Its ok - moist and tender, but somewhat bland. BBQ sauce for the win.

Do you think the bone makes a difference?

Do you think the bone makes a difference?
That question, my friend, will lead you down a rabbit hole of endless BBQ debate and opinions. I've mostly done bone-in butts, but the boneless ones that I've done don't seem to be noticeably different from either a time-to-cook or a taste standpoint. Possibly because I only ever do pulled pork from them with everything mixed together. There are those that will swear that the meat right around the bone gets imparted with extra flavor, and I don't necessarily disagree with that statement. But in the overall of 8 lbs. of meat, it just doesn't make that big of a difference to me personally. If you're looking for one vs. the other to somehow be the magical ingredient to the perfect pork butt, it's not. At least not in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
The stall can be a mind fuck to say the least!

Ok. I was thinking 1.5hr per pound. I may have to move it to the oven as I'm burning through the pellets. I think I'm running close to 2lbs/hr. Thanks. (Waves from Ft Worth)
You will get great results if you switch to the oven around 165, she’s taken in the smoke she will take.

Latest Discussions

Back