Turkey Talk

MrPhilGrillTX

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
EX6 (+ a kettle from 2003)
I'm wanting to do a turkey this year. Any tips/tricks/suggestions? Typically my wife has done a breast in the oven, but I'm thinking the whole bird on the EX6.

I’m a spatchcock believer for all poultry. Cooks faster and more evenly. Also a converted believer in a brine. I like a couple Commerical brines but there are plenty of recipes on the interwebz. 160-165 in breast then a rest. There will be some carry over to raise the temp to 165 or a bit above. I’m also a believer in cooking at 350-400 to crisp up the skin. Also add cornstarch on the surface after the rub is applied. Enjoy!

The last several years I’ve smoked or grilled the birds, both whole and spatchcocked. I use to wet brine but last many have just salted as a dry brine and rubbed just prior to cooking. As Jps said, cooking at higher heat is better. Meathead at AmazingRibs has great info about cooking the big birds on a smoker.
2261CE5F-EEAE-4C1D-99D0-00BB9727328C.jpeg
14C4FC67-370B-4A3A-9BBA-0B68F8B054A1.jpeg
1AB0C24E-6572-4C15-BE08-59C2F97C8CCB.jpeg

This year will be my first wet brined Turkey. Probably do a whole on and a few boneless breasts.

Lots of folks do the dry brine. Must be great as well. Most importantly, enjoy the ride!

This year will be my first wet brined Turkey. Probably do a whole on and a few boneless breasts.
Wet brining really doesn’t do much for the meat as compared to dry brining. Per the science, nothing really enters the meat other than the salt, the other molecules are all too large to penetrate. If you are looking to introduce other flavors, maybe try injecting it with butter and herbs and spices. As I said I use to wet brine and can honestly say a dry brine does the same thing with much less work and mess.

Great info, y'all, thanks!

Wet brining really doesn’t do much for the meat as compared to dry brining. Per the science, nothing really enters the meat other than the salt, the other molecules are all too large to penetrate. If you are looking to introduce other flavors, maybe try injecting it with butter and herbs and spices. As I said I use to wet brine and can honestly say a dry brine does the same thing with much less work and mess.
Do you think that's true for all meats? I've been wet brining my chicken breasts and they seem to be consistently better. Haven't tried dry with them.

Do you think that's true for all meats? I've been wet brining my chicken breasts and they seem to be consistently better. Haven't tried dry with them.
I know a lot of people are down with the dry brining and many are very credible sources but I’ve also had great success with the wet brine. I don’t brine all the time but usually with poultry and pork loin. Anything really lean. I have one of those Briner buckets and a beer fridge in the garage, so it’s not a huge problem for me. Before the briner bucket I rarely messed with it. The added moisture I get from the wet brine is easily recognized. I agree the scientific cooking community is largely behind dry brining, but I see substantial results with the wet brine myself. Someone here needs to do an honest blind test here. I’m in the ain’t broke don’t fix it mode. Maybe I shouldn’t be. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I wont cook a "whole" turkey again the rest of my life.

Buy a turkey, quarter that SOB up into pieces. Salt, pepper and whatever other turkey spice you want, into the EX6 at 400 degrees. Temp probe into breast and thigh. Take breasts off at 160 and thighs off at 170. Wrap and left rest 30-45 min for carry over cooking.

Best turkey you'll eat. Might take 2-2.5 hours total time and you're not screw-assing around with brines, rubber skin and half the bird dried out like saw dust.

Well I guess that’s one way of doing it, but take into consideration, some of us like…messing around…with different methods. I just want a smoked Turkey…I done care how as long as it’s edible.

Very hard to get dry turkey these days unless you are asleep at the helm. Many are already brined when you buy them and even if you don’t brine it’ll be moist if you remove it at 165 in the thickest part of the breast. Cooking at a hotter temperature also helps a bit more as there is less cook time to evaporate and render the moisture. Cheers!

I’m going to stick with the Texas style breast I have been killing! Easy, moist and delicious, different profile and a real crowd pleaser.

I’m a spatchcock believer for all poultry. Cooks faster and more evenly. Also a converted believer in a brine. I like a couple Commerical brines but there are plenty of recipes on the interwebz. 160-165 in breast then a rest. There will be some carry over to raise the temp to 165 or a bit above. I’m also a believer in cooking at 350-400 to crisp up the skin. Also add cornstarch on the surface after the rub is applied. Enjoy!
I was going to spatchcock mine this year too and cook it on my Smokefire. Are you going to cook @400 in the Smokefire?

Thinking about injecting the turkey breast with melted butter before putting it on the grill. Anyone do this and how were the results? I’m also considering cooking the turkey spatchcockEd @ 350 degrees. Is that a good temp? Also, what “flavor” of pellets have you all used with the most success. I’m thinking GMG Gold or BBQRS delight apple\pecan.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back