Weber Searwood Pellet Grill: How to Clean and Maintain

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Follow along for step-by-step instructions on how to clean and maintain your new Weber Searwood Pellet Grill.

From the video it looks like you have to basically disassemble the grill to clean it? And the video suggests doing it after every cook? That seems like a lot of work to keep it running & safe. However, I have no experience with pellet grills, just Weber and Napoleon gas grills and an XL Green Egg so I’m trying to learn as much about them as I can before buying one. Thanks.

From the video it looks like you have to basically disassemble the grill to clean it? And the video suggests doing it after every cook? That seems like a lot of work to keep it running & safe. However, I have no experience with pellet grills, just Weber and Napoleon gas grills and an XL Green Egg so I’m trying to learn as much about them as I can before buying one. Thanks.

Doing all that after every cook seems excessive. I've done three cooks on mine and I don't have anything near the interior build up depicted here. I spent maybe 5 minutes cleaning between cooks. Doing everything they show here would be, in my opinion, a once every 5 or 6 cooks sort of thing. But we'll see.

Doing all that after every cook seems excessive. I've done three cooks on mine and I don't have anything near the interior build up depicted here. I spent maybe 5 minutes cleaning between cooks. Doing everything they show here would be, in my opinion, a once every 5 or 6 cooks sort of thing. But we'll see.
Are you doing any long cooks? I’m used to having something under a pork butt or a brisket but with that single, lengthwise flavorizer bar I’m not sure how I would do that.

Are you doing any long cooks? I’m used to having something under a pork butt or a brisket but with that single, lengthwise flavorizer bar I’m not sure how I would do that.
To be fair, I've not done any long cooks...that is, brisket or pork butts. Longest was ribs. I'm doing pork belly burnt ends and chicken wings today. Let's see how much of a mess the pork belly makes. I cleaned everything today before starting. Everything in that video short of removing the firebox. Took all of maybe 7 minutes.

To be fair, I've not done any long cooks...that is, brisket or pork butts. Longest was ribs. I'm doing pork belly burnt ends and chicken wings today. Let's see how much of a mess the pork belly makes. I cleaned everything today before starting. Everything in that video short of removing the firebox. Took all of maybe 7 minutes.
Thanks for the update, hope it goes well for you. I’m just trying to get a little feel for the pros and cons before pulling the trigger on one.

Thanks for the update, hope it goes well for you. I’m just trying to get a little feel for the pros and cons before pulling the trigger on one.

I wish I could provide more insights on the Searwood vs other pellet grills. This is my first pellet. I'm coming from a Weber Smokey Mountain, and Weber gas grills. I'm liking it, but it's the only one I've used.

I wish I could provide more insights on the Searwood vs other pellet grills. This is my first pellet. I'm coming from a Weber Smokey Mountain, and Weber gas grills. I'm liking it, but it's the only one I've used.
I’m in exactly the same boat. I’ve been using an XL Green Egg for the last 14 years and I’m a little bored. Whatever I get, this will be my first pellet as well.

I’ve done the burn-in, a pizza, low and slow ribs, and some skirt steak and haven’t cleaned it once. So, about 4 sessions and it is a fraction of how dirty the Smokefire was that I had before. The ash and grease management is incredible compared to that system. I think I’ll clean it in the next cook or two but, as others said, it is designed for quick and easy cleaning. I used to have to brush, scrape, and vacuum the internals before every cook on the Smokefire or there would be a good chance of an issue. I think with the Searwood it’s just a quick brush to dust ash into the collection bin and scrape off into a trash can. I’m really impressed with the design so far.

In between cooks I pull out the ash/grease pan and push everything into collection tin, empty or throw that away. About every 2 weeks I clean out the cook box primairly by pushing the dust down into collections system. Have found it quite easy.

In between cooks I pull out the ash/grease pan and push everything into collection tin, empty or throw that away. About every 2 weeks I clean out the cook box primairly by pushing the dust down into collections system. Have found it quite easy.
That sounds really easy but it is quite a bit different from what they show in the video. There they take everything apart and scrape it all down and suggest doing it every cook. When I get one I’m hoping to do it your way instead.

That sounds really easy but it is quite a bit different from what they show in the video. There they take everything apart and scrape it all down and suggest doing it every cook. When I get one I’m hoping to do it your way instead.

Yeah, but taking everything apart is quick. Only the firebox is actually fastened down and taking that out isn't at all necessary. The rest of the components just lift out and it all takes under 5 minutes to completely clean it. And I don't feel that's necessary after every cook, though if you were going to do a high heat cook following 4 briskets then it'd probably be a good idea. But seriously, five minutes to do all of what they show, sans firebox. Probably 2 extra minutes to do that.

Cleaning is seriously very easy. I have diassembled probably 4 times now, every 3-4 cooks (or after a 20 hour cook, just wanted to remove the ash). Pulling the burn pot with two thumb screws to dump ash is seriously a fantastic design. It takes less than 10 minutes to pull scrape and funnel it all down into the disposable pan. I just lay out a 2 foot piece of aluminum foil on the table and stack the parts as I scrape down and remove them. What you have to understand is you are only removing the build up and ash. We are not polishing the thing. I use a plastic scraper ("disposable" scraper from ace, I just rinse and reuse, $2.99 for a 2 pack) so I don't scratch things up. Scrape everything into the bottom and then into the pan. If the pan is full I put it in the aluminum foil that I have sat everything on once it's reassembled. Wrap it up and toss the grease and ashes. I don't think there is a smoker out there that is this easy to clean. All pellet grills have to be cleaned... What are y'all comparing this to when you are worried about cleaning?? Many of them you have to break out a shop vac. This is a great design.

Last edited:
Back