Well...$&@:#%^

bbqking

Reaction score
Grill
EX6, 3, 22” kettles, 18” kettle and a e310 gasser
My SF gave me a temp drop warning last night, right at the end of my cook. I just initiated the shut down and it cooled off then I shut it down. Just went out and cleaned it out. Shop vac and all. Dumped all the pellets, then vacuumed out where the pellets go to auger. Plugged it in and was going to just do a test run, and the screen lit up, then nothing! Now I can’t get it to show any life at all. Hard to see screen because of this stupid Arizona sun, so will try again later. Anyone have a suggestion?

My SF gave me a temp drop warning last night, right at the end of my cook. I just initiated the shut down and it cooled off then I shut it down. Just went out and cleaned it out. Shop vac and all. Dumped all the pellets, then vacuumed out where the pellets go to auger. Plugged it in and was going to just do a test run, and the screen lit up, then nothing! Now I can’t get it to show any life at all. Hard to see screen because of this stupid Arizona sun, so will try again later. Anyone have a suggestion?
Two quick thoughts: Assuming that you know you have power to the unit (check to see if your GFCI tripped) check the fuse next to the on-off switch to make sure it neither became loose, or blew. Second, and a bit more difficult is to check the fuse on the motherboard. I have not done that second, but a power surge could have caused either of these could have failed, especially if an extension cord is involved.

I have also seen comments on other sites that unplugging the unit, not just turning off the switch, and then re-powering cleared this problem...again no experience.

The web site says fuse, Webber support walked me through getting fuse out. They said if it’s cloudy, it’s blown...not sure what could have caused it to blow. Included is fuse pic. Can’t tel it it’s blown or not.
And I just watched a video on how to replace...it looks just like this fuse. There are no burns or splits in this one I took out.

Attachments

• A97E865B-D122-4A82-8EBC-C35E894E7DAE.jpeg
    A97E865B-D122-4A82-8EBC-C35E894E7DAE.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 81
Mine looked the same way. I ran a continuity test on it and it was blown. It is a weird 1.6A 250V ceramic fuse. Did Weber say were to get more? I could only find it on Amazon but some say they have found them at auto stores.

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZLJL8O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Always use the switch to shut it off after the shut down completes. Use a heavy gauge extension cord if you need one.

Hope this helps.

The web site says fuse, Webber support walked me through getting fuse out. They said if it’s cloudy, it’s blown...not sure what could have caused it to blow. Included is fuse pic. Can’t tel it it’s blown or not.
And I just watched a video on how to replace...it looks just like this fuse. There are no burns or splits in this one I took out.
Most quick blow fuses are ceramic as they are designed to be more rugged and avoid shattering a regular glass tube fuse. I am surprised that the Weber guy didn’t know that. The fuse on the control board, however is a regulator clear fuse.

The only way to know if a ceramic fuse is good is by doing a continuity test with a multimeter. If you don’t have one, you can easily jury-rig a continuity test with any small “d” battery, some wire and a Low voltage light such as a flashlight. DIY descriptions are on-line.

As for availability locally, if you live in Phoenix or any large City, both electronic stores or larger truck and auto parts stores often have them also. They are usually used to protect circuit boards and sensitive electronic equipment from power surges... hence the term fast-blow.

So after 3 trips into the local Ace, and 2 calls to Weber support, and on heck of a time getting the fuse back in!! It was just the fuse. Replaced with a glass one and it fired back up. If you read the manual it says the use a 5mmx20mm fuse. Then it also says the replacement is 6amp 250 volt. The support said it 5amp 250 volt. Which is what I put in and it now works again.

So after 3 trips into the local Ace, and 2 calls to Weber support, and on heck of a time getting the fuse back in!! It was just the fuse. Replaced with a glass one and it fired back up. If you read the manual it says the use a 5mmx20mm fuse. Then it also says the replacement is 6amp 250 volt. The support said it 5amp 250 volt. Which is what I put in and it now works again.
I certainly hope that they sold you a fast blow/fast acting fuse and meets Weber specifications on page 31 of their manual of only 1.6 amp at 250 volt...otherwise, IMO, you run the risk of destroying the control board.
Not trying to give you a hard time, but it could be like pitting a penny in the old screw-in household fuse panels...electronic circuits are extremely sensitive to surges.

Well idk if it’s a fast acting fuse or not. The guy at Weber asurred me what I needed and said nothing about surges, fast acting...or anything like that. I questioned him about warranty too. He said warranty still good.
Says it’s a time delay fuse. S506, TSD fuse? Not sure what that means.

Last edited:
After research it’s not a fast acting fuse...well poop! Just orderred the correct ones on amazon.

Well idk if it’s a fast acting fuse or not. The guy at Weber asurred me what I needed and said nothing about surges, fast acting...or anything like that. I questioned him about warranty too. He said warranty still good.
Says it’s a time delay fuse. S506, TSD fuse? Not sure what that means.
That is the fuse on the control board, if I am not mistaken but perhaps you should ask for clarification from Weber, as the board fuse is much smaller.

Last edited:
No, the fuse I replace was in between the power switch and where the power cord pugs in. Right in between them

No, the fuse I replace was in between the power switch and where the power cord pugs in. Right in between them
That is the F1.6Amp250volt fast blow ceramic fuse that is located between the plug and switch. Sorry if I have confused the issue I apologize.

Last edited:
Again, I apolozige as you bought the the correct size as according to page 31 of the manual “The grill’s power supply utilizes a 5 Amp. 120 Volt Cartridge fuse.”

But then it cautions that the correct fuse is: “5x20MM FAST BLOW 1.6 A @240 VAC”. It also goes on to say that “NOTE: If the fuse has blown, it will look slightly burned or split”

signing off with my apology.

Last edited:
It’s all good. No worries dude. It was confusing for a non technical guy like me...I don’t get half of the stuff out there, I do have a little common sense. I was just worried my beloved SmokeFire was ruined....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back