Pro Grates Stainless Steel

True, I really don't have any complaints about the grates that came with it. Other than the fact that Weber chose to snub us stateside consumers by withholding the GBS grates they provided for the rest of the world. (I'll stop my over-entitled 'Merican rant now.) Just storing away some info for if and when they need replacing.
All good nothing annoys me more than us not getting the same stuff they ship to other Countries.

I'm new to pellet grills but I have a background in cookware design.

From what I know about cooking performance of various metals, stainless steel, carbon steel and cast iron are all mostly made up of iron and so have similar specific heat capacities. Stainless however suffers from a much lower rate of thermal conductivity, which is why stainless steel makes excellent handles for skillets and frypans; poor conductivity means they stay cooler during use vs. cast iron or carbon steel. In my opinion this makes the stock plated steel grates a good tradeoff between the even heating and searing performance of cast iron and the corrosion resistance of stainless steel.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of stainless when it comes to grill components, but I would rather replace cheaper plated grates every few years than trade searing performance for the longevity of expensive solid stainless grates.

From what I know about cooking performance of various metals, stainless steel, carbon steel and cast iron are all mostly made up of iron and so have similar specific heat capacities. Stainless however suffers from a much lower rate of thermal conductivity, which is why stainless steel makes excellent handles for skillets and frypans; poor conductivity means they stay cooler during use vs. cast iron or carbon steel. In my opinion this makes the stock plated steel grates a good tradeoff between the even heating and searing performance of cast iron and the corrosion resistance of stainless steel.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of stainless when it comes to grill components, but I would rather replace cheaper plated grates every few years than trade searing performance for the longevity of expensive solid stainless grates.
I’m not sure there is as big a difference between SS and cast iron based upon recent tests I’ve seen. That said, the cast iron grates offered by Weber are porcelain coated and very durable. If you want the cast iron, do not hesitate IMO. I have the heavy SS with a cast insert that has a grid shape integrated in its design. I’ve seen others with full on cast all the way across and I must admit it intrigues me. Good luck and above all enjoy.

I’m not sure there is as big a difference between SS and cast iron based upon recent tests I’ve seen. That said, the cast iron grates offered by Weber are porcelain coated and very durable. If you want the cast iron, do not hesitate IMO. I have the heavy SS with a cast insert that has a grid shape integrated in its design. I’ve seen others with full on cast all the way across and I must admit it intrigues me. Good luck and above all enjoy.
If Weber porcelain enameled cast iron is better quality than the crap Char Broil makes, I might install a cast iron section in the center for searing and leave the other two stock for low and slow.

If Weber porcelain enameled cast iron is better quality than the crap Char Broil makes, I might install a cast iron section in the center for searing and leave the other two stock for low and slow.
They’ve been using them in their gas grills for years now without issue that I’m aware of. I have the enamel coated cast iron insert searing grid and several other items that integrate with the GBS grates. I’m more than happy. Very little to no maintenance unlike actual raw cast grates.

The full set or individual grid is also reversible. 1/2” wide and flat on one side and narrow peaks on the other.

B4ECD758-7E57-4D14-8382-B0395FEA9319.jpeg
They’ve been using them in their gas grills for years now without issue that I’m aware of. I have the enamel coated cast iron insert searing grid and several other items that integrate with the GBS grates. I’m more than happy. Very little to no maintenance unlike actual raw cast grates.

The full set or individual grid is also reversible. 1/2” wide and flat on one side and narrow peaks on the other.
A059ED62-ADBF-4D6C-8DF8-367E9CA99C0D.png

Can’t find any better pics but I bought these 2 CI Weber grates and I love them! The 3rd section is stainless Weber as well. I highly recommend these grates.
B4ECD758-7E57-4D14-8382-B0395FEA9319.jpeg

Last edited:

You were saying?

Attachments

• 2020-08-02 19.17.00.jpg
    2020-08-02 19.17.00.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 21
The stainless will get hot just like the others. They just don’t retain heat as well so, if you're planning on grilling once you’ve removed the heat source then cast iron is definitely superior in that application. Since I never cook that way, that simply is not a factor for me. I turn off the heat once I’m done searing.

Is Progrates still around? Their website isn't resolving for me. It was redirecting somewhere several times and seemed somewhat fishy instead.

True, I really don't have any complaints about the grates that came with it. Other than the fact that Weber chose to snub us stateside consumers by withholding the GBS grates they provided for the rest of the world. (I'll stop my over-entitled 'Merican rant now.) Just storing away some info for if and when they need replacing.
no finger pointing but please check also the prices that the other countries pay for the grills.

e.g. used sources are the national Weber website and I used google for exchange rate EURO to USD link.

Dutch site link:
EX4: 1699 euro (1836 USD)
EX6: 1999 euro (2161 USD)
EPX4: 1899 euro (2053 USD)
EPX6: 2199 euro (2377 USD)

US site link:
EX4: 1099 USD so a price difference of 737 USD
EX6: 1299 USD so a price difference of 700 USD
EPX6: 1499 USD so a price differecnce of 878 USD

I think you can buy quite some accessorries or grades for the price difference :)

the Gourmet BBQ insert for the EX4/EX6 link cost 117,49 USD.

no finger pointing but please check also the prices that the other countries pay for the grills.

e.g. used sources are the national Weber website and I used google for exchange rate EURO to USD link.

Dutch site link:
EX4: 1699 euro (1836 USD)
EX6: 1999 euro (2161 USD)
EPX4: 1899 euro (2053 USD)
EPX6: 2199 euro (2377 USD)

US site link:
EX4: 1099 USD so a price difference of 737 USD
EX6: 1299 USD so a price difference of 700 USD
EPX6: 1499 USD so a price differecnce of 878 USD

I think you can buy quite some accessorries or grades for the price difference :)

the Gourmet BBQ insert for the EX4/EX6 link cost 117,49 USD.

Also could be market studies or something. Very possible there is a huge difference in the likelihood of upgrade sales in the US vs other markets? Obviously, no study is true to form for every consumer. These guys surely have data on sales habits etc. Not offering potential add ons to the base model reduces price and maximizes potential initial sales here in the US. There are tons of consumers who will and would never utilize the full potential of the cooker and it’s extras.

Also could be market studies or something. Very possible there is a huge difference in the likelihood of upgrade sales in the US vs other markets? Obviously, no study is true to form for every consumer. These guys surely have data on sales habits etc. Not offering potential add ons to the base model reduces price and maximizes potential initial sales here in the US. There are tons of consumers who will and would never utilize the full potential of the cooker and it’s extras.
The competition in EU markets is different than in US. For one thing, VAT keeps out a bunch of Chinese junk, also the fact that Europeans are much more willing to pay good money for good quality products, which is why they are willing to pay for better quality imports. Also, BBQ is some what exotic there and the audience tend to be more "passionate enthusiasts", to whom authentic brands command a premium. Bad example, but Jack Daniels is pretty expensive vs. far superior Scotch or Irish whiskey.

Latest Discussions

Back