Summit Kamado

sntwilliams

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX6
So one of these should be showing up in January...

Did I need it? No, not really!

Did I want a shiny new grill to add to the collection? You're God damn right!

Did my partner roll her eyes at me and tell me I'm a lunatic? Absolutely.

Last edited:
The Weber Summit Charcoal is an awesome unit. Awesome! This Kamado version is pretty much the same only slightly stripped of a few bells and whistles to lower price and RE-brand / RE-launch the unit.

The Weber Summit Charcoal is an awesome unit. Awesome! This Kamado version is pretty much the same only slightly stripped of a few bells and whistles to lower price and RE-brand / RE-launch the unit.

Yeah, I've had my eye on the summit charcoal for a few years now, but I never wanted the gas igniter. I've seen a few comments that the new stand may be a bit flimsy compared to the original summit (it certainly looks like there is physically less of it!) but I'm planning on constructing my own wooden bench for this so I'm not too fussed!

The stand alone Kamado model does not come with the gas assistance. That will be your target. It’ll be a great value as it will be price well below the original. 300 less I think.

The stand alone Kamado model does not come with the gas assistance. That will be your target. It’ll be a great value as it will be price well below the original. 300 less I think.

Yeah, it's "E6" model that I've gone for. I can't wait!

I bought a Summit Charcoal a couple months after I got my EX6. I've had Weber kettles for 30+ years. This Summit charcoal is a F'in tank and blows the doors off any kettle I've ever owned.

Pricy yes, but if you want basically the same thing, the new Kamado is the ticket at a more reasonable price.

I got the EX6 for convenience, speed and flavor. But every once in a while I miss going through the motions and cooking on a kettle. This Summit charcoal and by extension this new upcoming Kamado is like getting jerked off by the prom queen.

This Summit charcoal and by extension this new upcoming Kamado is like getting jerked off by the prom queen.

They should add that to the Weber marketing material :ROFLMAO:

I bought a Summit Charcoal a couple months after I got my EX6. I've had Weber kettles for 30+ years. This Summit charcoal is a F'in tank and blows the doors off any kettle I've ever owned.

Pricy yes, but if you want basically the same thing, the new Kamado is the ticket at a more reasonable price.

I got the EX6 for convenience, speed and flavor. But every once in a while I miss going through the motions and cooking on a kettle. This Summit charcoal and by extension this new upcoming Kamado is like getting jerked off by the prom queen.
Yeah, it’s not just a kettle. It does everything a ceramic Kamado will do and more. The design is genius and very efficient. It can also change temps in both directions which traditionally ceramic cookers cannot. It’s the bomb. Should receive waaaaay more recognition than it does. Enjoy!

Yeah, it’s not just a kettle. It does everything a ceramic Kamado will do and more. The design is genius and very efficient. It can also change temps in both directions which traditionally ceramic cookers cannot. It’s the bomb. Should receive waaaaay more recognition than it does. Enjoy!

Absolutely! I'm hoping that by adjusting the price point and calling it what it is, more people will get their hands on one. I'll no doubt post some updates when mine arrives.

Read the review at TVWBB seems like a really cheap version of what it used to be. The triangle at the bottom is a joke and during the review the guy accidentally pulled the handle off the grate. Shame on Weber for going too cheap!,

Last edited:
Read the review at TVWBB seems like a really cheap version of what it used to be. The triangle at the bottom is a joke and during the review the guy accidentally pulled the handle off the grate. Sham on Weber for going too cheap!,
I’ll wait to see for myself. I didn’t think the unit itself changed, but could be wrong. The old cooking grids are HEAVY!

F5CCAA5B-2FC6-4B0A-931F-F0DEA1C5E7F7.png
1393AA09-F33A-490F-B649-097787609DD9.png

Yeah, both carts are diminished in structure and the smaller one you have shown has eliminated the gas assist igniter. I’m not sure the grill itself has changed. We shall see. The summit has double wall lid and a double wall pocket in the lower portion that traps the hot air for incredible efficiency. The grids in the summit is really heavy duty. Not sure about the new one. I’d like to see the new one in person.

From what I can tell, the differences between the summit charcoal and E6 are:

- the stand
- the snap jet ignition thingy is gone
- tool holder has changed design
- the diffuser plate inside doesn't have hinges and is possibly thinner. If the same as the master touch premium, I don't care as it's great.

The most important thing is the body, which seems to be the same.

I watched the YouTube video the guy posted, the post on tvwbb he made and the review on the Weber website. I get that he's not happy, the handle on the grill grate snapping off is just pure bad luck, but will no doubt be fixed immediately by Weber sending a new one.

The wobble is an interesting one. Yes, there is physically less of the base than on its predecessor, but that doesn't necessarily means it's weak and can't do the job properly. He did say that he hadn't built the unit himself (I'm getting war flashbacks from the smokefire launch again!) and I have seen that Weber are telling people to check the tightness of the bolts.

Having said all that, when mine does arrive and I've assembled it. If I have tightened all those bolts as described and the thing still wobbles then Weber will definitely have to sort that out, even if it means they have to send out the original base.

Last edited:
The hinged diffuser plate is well built and nice on the Summit, but not really needed as the thing is so efficient you don’t need to add charcoal ever.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest Discussions

Back